Permit Required - $30.00 fee
The Massachusetts State Fire Code & Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows for
- A permit is required.
- Permits can only be obtained to celebrate Independence Day.
- Dates: July 2nd to July 6th (Dates are subject to change each year)
- The fire and smoke must not pose a hazard to any property.
- The smoke must not create a nuisance or health hazard in the neighborhood.
- Burning must take place on homeowner’s property only. It must be at least 25 feet from any combustible wall or other combustible material.
- A hose or fire extinguisher capable of extinguishing the fire must be within 25 feet of the fire.
- Only ordinary firewood or “clean wood” may be burned. NO trash, preservative-treated wood, plywood, leaves, hazardous waste, construction debris, or chemicals may be burned at any time.
- Bonfires are limited to 4 feet wide and 4 feet high.
- A competent adult must be in attendance at all times.
Please remember that any fire should always be considered a hazard to curious children.
A permit and a pre-inspection is required. Permits are obtained at the Fairhaven Fire Department, 146 Washington Street, Fairhaven MA 02719.
If the fire department is called to your home for any type of outside fire, we reserve the right to extinguish or order any fire be extinguished at the fire officer’s discretion.