Permit Required - $0.00 - No Cost
The Massachusetts State Fire Code & Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows for Open Burning in Fairhaven as long as the following conditions are met:
- A permit has been obtained from the Fairhaven Fire Department. (Fee: $0.00)
- Open burning is allowed only between January 15th and May 1st each year.
- Open burning is only allowed on approved days between 10:00am and 4:00pm
- The fire and smoke must not pose a hazard to any property.
- The smoke must not create a nuisance or health hazard in the neighborhood.
- A hose or fire extinguisher capable of extinguishing the fire must be within 25 feet of the fire.
- Only brush, cane, driftwood and forestry debris may be burned.
- Burning of grass, hay, leaves, and/or stumps is prohibited.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from any combustible wall or other combustible material.
- A competent adult must be in attendance at all times and burning on their own property.
Please remember that any fire should always be considered a hazard to curious children.
A permit is required. Permits are obtained at the Fairhaven Fire Department, 146 Washington Street, Fairhaven MA 02719.
If the fire department is called to your home for any type of outside fire, we reserve the right to extinguish or order any fire be extinguished at the fire officer’s discretion. Permits can be revoked or suspended at any time.
Safety Material: https://www.mass.gov/service-details/open-burning-safety