Town of Fairhaven
Sustainability Committee - Charge of Committee
The Fairhaven Sustainability Committee is an advisory committee reporting to the Board of Selectmen involving matters relating to sustainable practices, environmental regulations, green initiatives, and the environmental health of Fairhaven. In that capacity, the Sustainability Committee (formerly Green Committee) shall be charged with the following:
- Promote outreach and volunteer efforts to support beach, ocean, and terrestrial clean-ups.
- Promote, advocate, and lobby for sustainable practices and lifestyle changes, both in Fairhaven, and our greater region, via education, green initiatives and bylaws.
- Enhance Fairhaven’s reputation as a leader in sustainable enterprises.
- Work interdepartmentally to improve recycling, reducing, reusing, composting, and other sustainable practices.
- Foster a sustainable future and advocate for social and economic improvements in our community.
- Act as a resource to the Sustainability Officer, when requested, and provide recommendations to the Board of Selectmen and the Town Administrator on Sustainability issues.
- Membership: It is the recommendation of the Sustainability Committee that the membership be comprised of seven (7) full voting members, and up to five (5) alternate members, as appointed by the Board of Selectmen. Terms shall be one year, reappointed annually.