Permit Required - $0.00
The Massachusetts State Fire Code & Massachusetts Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) allows for Open Burning in Fairhaven as long as the following conditions are met:
- Land has been designed by the Assessor to be Farm/Agriculture land.
- A permit has been obtained from the Fairhaven Fire Department. (Fee: $0.00)
- Open burning is only allowed on approved days 2 hours after sunrise to 4:00pm
- The fire and smoke must not pose a hazard to any property.
- The smoke must not create a nuisance or health hazard in the neighborhood.
- Burning must take place on homeowner’s property only.
- Designed for the burning of blueberry patches dead raspberry stock, fruit tree pruning and affected beehives for disease control
- Also designed for burning of brush and trees resulting from agricultural land clearing operations.
- Burning must be at least 75 feet from any combustible building
- A competent adult must be in attendance at all times.
Please remember that any fire should always be considered a hazard to curious children.
A permit is required. Permits are obtained at the Fairhaven Fire Department, 146 Washington Street, Fairhaven MA 02719.
If the fire department is called to your home for any type of outside fire, we reserve the right to extinguish or order any fire be extinguished at the fire officer’s discretion. Permits can be revoked or suspended at any time.